Tips for Successfully Implementing Renewals Manager Workflows in Applied Epic
Technology | Connections Editor | Apr 30 2021
Image via AppliedSystems.com.
During Applied Net 2020, Angela Malott, performance manager at Wells Insurance and Applied Client Network Carolinas Chapter Vice President, shared insight on review configuration, setup and functionality of Renewals Manager in Applied Epic in a session titled “Renewals Manager in Applied Epic”. Today, discover some of her top tips on getting the most out of this new "epic" feature.
Renewals Manager is a recently rolled out management tool on the Epic platform that can be used for tracking renewals from start to finish. While "Actions-renew" is the step it takes to refresh the policy header and a Quick View expiration report can show you which polices still need to be renewed, it is Renewals Manager that allows to you view, monitor and manage the entire renewal process.
Getting Started With Renewals Manager
The design of Renewals Manager, like most other areas in Epic, can be configured and set up based on the needs of the user, the department or the task at hand.
You can utilize Renewals Manager for different objectives. It can be used daily by service staff, producers, managers, directors and principals to provide real-time status updates for each client (down to each policy level). Coworkers or support personnel who are working on another’s desk will know exactly what is going on with the renewal without running or having access to a coworker’s expiration list or having to read through numerous activity notes and attachments. Finally, stages can be set up so that Renewals Manager can be used solely for the function of performing internal auditing.
Implementing Renewals Manager Workflows
Angela recommends following these four tips when implementing workflows.
- Prior to implementation, it is imperative to determine how Renewals Manager is going to be utilized, i.e., just for auditing, just for commercial lines, just for agency- or brokerage-billed items, for all P&C renewals, etc.
- Once that's decided, create an outline listing only the high-level steps for the type of use. For example, gather updated information, waiting on renewal offer, working on proposals, waiting on policy documents, issued proofs, etc.
- Next, turn those high-level steps into your stages. Angela recommends sticking to these high-level steps and NOT assigning stages for every item performed in the workflow. Otherwise, staff is going to spend more time managing Renewals Manager than managing their renewals. Remember: This is an overview of the renewal process. If you want details, take a deeper dive into the particular account.
- Create stages which have different starting letters. This way you can change the status by typing a letter, press tab (Epic will prefill the stage), and then press enter.
- For example: Gathering updated info, Quote / policy requested, Renewal received, Proposal / quote presented, Ordered & renewed policy with carrier, Certificate & evidence sent
From here, your agency or brokerage should be ready to rock. Upon implementation of Renewals Manager, as was the case for Wells Insurance, you should notice less requests for status updates between producers and servicing staff (thus, less interruptions and reduced errors), managers will quickly notice if staff are getting behind or need assistance, and — as team members are out sick — supporting staff will be better equipped to make sure there are no crucial renewal “fires” that need attention. If a fire does come up, your agency or brokerage will have the tools to put the fire out without having to filter through, potentially, dozens of activities and attachments. It's a win-win!
Angela Malott has held roles as an assistant account manager, an account manager, a performance manager and a producer, and has handled claims, coverage issues, marketing and software computer issues. She is currently a performance manager at Wells Insurance, and truly appreciates the art of learning and challenging her mind. Angela also enjoys sharing her knowledge and affection for all things insurance.
Tags: Technology , User Tips , Applied Epic , Renewal Process , Tips , Renewals Manager